The prices charged for muesli are absolutely ridiculous, especially considering it’s relatively simple and cheap to make.
Most of the store-bought muesli contains some pretty undesirable contents that you should steer clear of wherever possible.
One of the nastiest in my opinion is vegetable oil, and trust me, it’s in close to every item you buy in a packet.
This may be overwhelming, but I’m hoping to show you (through the recipes I share) that there are some pretty simple alternatives that you can turn to when avoiding processed foods.
I thought I’d share my recipe with you all so that those who do like to start their day with muesli can do so at a cheaper cost to both their wallet and their health.
I would normally double the quantity for this recipe as my kids tend to inhale muesli!
I don’t often eat it, apart from the occasional dessert, but if the kids could, they would eat it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
For anyone who is grain free, I will post a granola recipe in the coming weeks.
- – 6 cups oats
- – 2 cups shredded coconut (look out for nasty additives, should only be coconut and nothing else!)
- – ¾ cup pepitas
- – ¾ cup sunflower seeds
- – ¼ cup sesame seeds
- – 1 TBSP chia seeds
- – ½ TBSP cinnamon
- – ½ cup coconut oil
- – ¼ cup honey (I only put this small amount as i’m only feeding my kids and would prefer them to have limited sugars. For those with a sweet tooth you could probably double this)
- – ½ cup nuts roughly chopped (I used almonds)
- – Mix together all dry ingredients in your oven tray
- – In a saucepan add the coconut oil and honey. Heat over a low-medium heat stirring until combined and turned into a thin liquid. Don’t over heat as it can burn.
- – Pour the liquid over all the dry ingredients and give it a good stir.
- – Place in the oven and cook for roughly 30 mins stirring a few times during, keep an eye on it in case it over cooks as it can quickly change from golden to burnt.
- – Remove from oven when golden and enjoy!
- – ½ cup buckwheat kernels (added at the beginning for extra crunch)
- – ½ cup dried fruit (added after removed from oven)